SFWRITER.COM | Novelist • Scriptwriter • Keynote Speaker | Press Kit • Blog
Rob's 23rd Novel!
It's always darkest before the dawn
Quantum Night by Robert J. Sawyer
Hardcover / Audiobook / Ebook coming on 1 March 2016
“A really good book. Just the sort of science fiction I'd like to be writing myself if I had the time.”
John Gribbin, author of In Search of Schrödinger's Cat
Days Until Publication:
Free Newsletter Subscription
Want to receive Rob’s email updates once or twice a year? Subscribe
The Great Martian Fossil Rush!
“A cause for celebration; a tour de force.” Analog
Maclean’s, Globe and Mail,
and Locus bestseller!
Opening chapters •
Science Fiction Thrillers
“Some thriller writers get you worried about
the future. Sawyer makes the present perilous.”
“Triggers is constantly gripping on
the surface and seriously provocative deep down.”
The Wall Street Journal
Someone is reading the president’s memories! • “A turbo-charged technothriller.” Publishers Weekly • Globe and Mail and #1 Locus Bestseller!
Basis for the ABC TV series! • “A thoroughly entertaining novel.” CNN • Aurora Award winner!
The WWW Trilogy
The World Wide Web wakes up
“Lately, I’ve been inspired by ideas from Robert J. Sawyer.”
The history-making series! Every volume in WWW trilogy has won the Aurora Award Canada’s top honor in science fiction and fantasy writing for best novel of the year!
Artificial-intelligence pioneer Marvin Minsky
- WWW: Wake: Hugo finalist! • Starred Publishers Weekly review!
- WWW: Watch: Hal Clement Award winner! • Audie Award finalist!
- WWW: Wonder: #1 Canadian bestseller! • “This is Robert J. Sawyer at his very best.” Analog
Nebula Winner • Seiun Winner • Aurora Winner
“Cracking open a Robert J. Sawyer book is like
getting a gift from a friend who visits all the strange and undiscovered
places in the world. You can’t wait to see what he’s going to amaze you
with this time.”
- The Terminal Experiment:
A scientist discovers proof for the existence of the soul. • “A great story; a crackerjack novel.” The Globe and Mail • Nebula Award winner!
- Illegal Alien:
A courtroom drama with an extraterrestrial defendant. • “The best Canadian mystery of the year.” The Globe and Mail • Winner of Japan’s top SF award!
The wormholes are open; discovery awaits. • “An epic hard-science adventure tempered by human concerns; highly recommended.” Library Journal • Hugo and Nebula finalist!
Book Club Favorites
Thought-provoking novels perfect for reading groups
“Rob Sawyer has carried the banner of Asimovian science fiction into the twenty-first century.”
Robert Charles Wilson
Book Club Discussion Guides
- Mindscan: A doomed man uploads his consciousness into an artificial body. • “In Sawyer’s capable grasp the story positively sings with humor, insight, and depth.” SF Site • John W. Campbell Memorial Award winner!
- Calculating God: An alien lands in Toronto claiming to have proof for God’s existence. • “The best science-fiction novel of the year.” Denver Rocky Mountain News • Hugo finalist and Audie winner!
- Rollback: An elderly couple undergoes a rejuvenation treatment but it fails for one of them. • “A novel to be savoured by SF and mainstream readers alike.” The Globe and Mail • Hugo Award finalist!
The Neanderthal Parallax Trilogy
The Hugo Award-winning HOMINIDS and its sequels
“Charming and provocative some of the most outrageous,
stimulating speculation since Robert A. Heinlein’s
Stranger in a Strange Land questioned our tired,
The bestselling Neanderthal Parallax trilogy explores a version
of Earth where Neanderthals survived to the present and we
did not and a portal that opens up between our world and theirs.
The Quintaglio Ascension Trilogy
Science battles religion with alien counterparts
of Galileo, Darwin, and Freud
“Fresh, exhilarating. A dynamic and inspiring trilogy. Highly recommended.”
The Toronto Star
Far-Seer • Fossil Hunter • Foreigner
“An uncanny allegory of the human condition.”
Books in Canada
More Near-Future Thrillers
“Sawyer is a brilliant stylist who depicts
daily-life events with a shattered worldview.”
The Gainesville (Florida) Sun
- Factoring Humanity: Surf the collective unconscious. • “Sawyer’s finest novel to date. Scientifically plausible, fictionally intriguing and ethically important.” New Scientist • Hugo Award finalist!
- Frameshift: A genetics thriller. • “Highly recommended.” Library Journal • Hugo Award finalist!
Classic Hard Science Fiction
“Sawyer has won himself an international
readership by reinvigorating the traditions of
hard science fiction.”
- Golden Fleece: A murder mystery aboard a starship. • “Sawyer’s JASON is the deepest computer character in all of science fiction.” Orson Scott Card • Aurora Award winner!
- End of an Era: Discover what really killed the dinosaurs. • “It’s not too much to say that this is one of the most accomplished SF novels of the last 10 years.” Quill & Quire • Seiun Award winner!
The Complete Short Fiction of Robert J. Sawyer
“At every opportunity, Sawyer forces his readers to think while holding
their attention with ingenious premises and superlative craftsmanship.”
Two matching volumes, with Rob’s notes on every story.
Iterations and Other Stories •
Identity Theft and Other Stories
Free Science Fiction!
Novel Chapters • Complete Short Stories
Offering free fiction online since 1995!
Rob One of “The CanLit 30”
Quill & Quire, the Canadian publishing trade journal,
recently released its first-ever list of
“The CanLit 30: The most influential, innovative, and just
plain powerful people in Canadian publishing.”
Only three authors made the 30-person list: Margaret Atwood,
Douglas Coupland, and Robert J. Sawyer. The write-up
about Rob says:
“When Penguin Canada
snatched up domestic rights
to science fiction giant
Robert J. Sawyer last year,
it felt like the Canuck industry was finally waking up to an entire
genre. Not that Sawyer really needed the nod: he already sells
more than respectably
and has a shelf full of major sci-fi prizes.
As a generous mentor to other writers,
the proprietor of his own eponymous imprint
at Red Deer Press, and a frequent
Sawyer is the public face of Canadian sci-fi.”
According to the Locus Index to Science Fiction Awards,
Robert J. Sawyer is the #1 all-time worldwide leader in number of
award wins as a science-fiction or fantasy novelist
(second place goes to China Miéville; Stephen King,
Ursula K. LeGuin, and Connie Willis are tied for third place).
Rob is also the
#1 all-time leader in number of award nominations as a science-fiction
or fantasy novelist (second place goes to Stephen King).
Among Rob’s honors (in order of receipt):
Who is Robert J. Sawyer?
Robert J. Sawyer is one of only eight writers
in history and the only Canadian to win all three
of the world’s top Science Fiction
awards for best novel of the year:
and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award
(the full list of such winners: Paolo Bacigalupi, David Brin,
Arthur C. Clarke, Joe Haldeman, Frederik Pohl, Kim Stanley Robinson,
Robert J. Sawyer, and Connie Willis), and he’s the first author in thirty
years to receive a Lifetime Achievement Aurora Award.
Rob is also an award-winning scriptwriter
and an in-demand keynote speaker.
“Robert J. Sawyer is just about the best science fiction writer
out there these days.”
Denver Rocky Mountain News
“Robert J. Sawyer is by any measure one of the world’s leading
(and most interesting) science-fiction writers.”
The Globe and Mail
“Robert J. Sawyer is a writer of boundless confidence and bold
The New York Times
“Robert J. Sawyer is the science fiction genre’s northern
star in fact, one of the hottest SF writers anywhere.
By any reckoning Sawyer is among the most successful Canadian
Maclean’s: Canada’s Weekly Newsmagazine
“Robert J. Sawyer is on a par with giants like Asimov and
Heinlein and, perhaps more than any other science fiction writer
working today, he understands that it’s a genre about ideas.”
“Robert J. Sawyer is one of the most popular and successful science fiction
authors in the world today.”
“Robert J. Sawyer is one of the foremost science fiction writers of our
“Robert J. Sawyer is the leader of SF’s next-generation pack.”
Barnes and Noble
“Robert J. Sawyer is arguably the world’s top science fiction writer.”
The Hamilton Spectator
“Robert J. Sawyer is the 21st century’s Asimov, Clarke and Heinlein,
all in one.”
Ethical Society of Saint Louis
“Robert J. Sawyer is a highly successful and accomplished novelist,
a gentle giant of a writer.” The New York Review
of Science Fiction
“Robert J. Sawyer is the dean of Canadian science fiction.”
“Robert J. Sawyer is the dean of Canadian science fiction.”
The Ottawa Citizen
“Robert J. Sawyer is Canada’s leading SF author.” Booklist
“Robert J. Sawyer is probably the best sci-fi writer Canada has ever produced.”
Planet S: Saskatoon’s City Magazine
“Robert J. Sawyer is Canada’s premier science fiction writer.”
Quill & Quire
Rob’s books are #1 bestsellers in print:
- #1 on the Amazon.com Science Fiction Bestsellers’ List
- #1 on the Amazon.com Technothriller Bestsellers’ List
- #1 on the Amazon.ca Science Fiction Bestsellers’ List
- #1 on the Amazon.co.uk Science Fiction Bestsellers’ List
- #1 on the Locus Paperback Bestsellers’ List
- #1 on the Calgary Herald Fiction Bestsellers’ List
- #1 on the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix Hardcover Bestsellers’ List
- #1 on the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix Paperback Bestsellers’ List
- #1 on the Winnipeg Free Press Hardcover Fiction Bestsellers’ List
- #1 on the Palm Beach Daily News Combined Fiction and Nonfiction Bestsellers’ List.
Rob’s novels are also #1 bestsellers in audio:
- #1 on the Audible.com Science Fiction Bestsellers’ List.
His novels have made numerous appearances on the two major top-ten national mainstream
bestsellers’ lists in Canada, covering authors of all nationalities, reaching as high as:
- #3 on the Fiction Bestsellers’ List in Maclean’s: Canada’s Weekly Newsmagazine
- #7 on the Fiction Bestsellers’ List in The Globe and Mail: Canada’s National Newspaper.
And Sawyer titles have simultaneously been #4, #6, and
#8 on the Edmonton Journal Fiction Bestsellers’ List.
At Bakka Phoenix Books, the world’s oldest extant science-fiction
specialty bookstore, Rob’s books have been #1 on their lists of
the bestselling books for the entire year a record-setting nine times:
- #1 seven times for hardcover
- #1 twice for paperback.
Listen: Sounds Like Canada radio interview (MP3)
What’s a Robert J. Sawyer novel like?
There’s Lots More Here!
Over ONE MILLION words •
800 documents •
The first-ever science-fiction author website,
established Wednesday, June 28, 1995, and most recently updated on
Wednesday, September 2, 2015.
You are visitor since 1 January 1998.
Copyright © 2015 by Robert J. Sawyer. All rights reserved.