SFWRITER.COM > About Rob > 1999 Year in Review
Robert J. Sawyer's 1999 Year in Review
- Illegal Alien paperback
published by Ace.
- Illegal Alien hits #9 on the paperback bestsellers
list published by Locus: The Newspaper of the Science Fiction
- Rob is guest speaker at a meeting of the Philadelphia Science
- Rob contracts with The Discovery Channel Canada to co-host
the two-hour documentary Inventing the Future: 2000 Years of
Discovery, to air January 2, 2000.
- Factoring Humanity
hits #1 on the hardcover
bestsellers list (combined fiction and nonfiction) published in
the March 7 Palm Beach Daily News, as provided by
Florida's Classic Bookshop.
- Publishers Weekly gives
"starred review," denoting a book of exceptional merit.
- Factoring Humanity nominated for the
Hugo Award for Best
Novel of the Year.
- Factoring Humanity paperback published by Tor.
- Rob appears on Open Mike with Mike Bullard, Canada's
most popular talk show.
- FlashForward hardcover published by Tor.
- FlashForward spend two weeks on the hardcover fiction
bestsellers list at Toronto's World's Biggest Bookstore: for
June 18-24, it's #8; for June 25-July 1, it's #10.
- On June 19, FlashForward is ranked #93 in sales
cracking the famed Hot 100 list out of all the titles
available on Amazon.com.
- Maclean's: Canada's Weekly Newsmagazine devotes almost
two full pages to a profile of Rob in its June 21 issue, saying,
"By any reckoning Sawyer is among the most successful Canadian
- Rob teaches science-fiction writing for four days at the
University of Toronto's Taddle Creek Writers Workshop.
- Rob attends World Science Fiction Convention in Melbourne,
- Rob is Guest of Honor at science-fiction
convention Context XII in Columbus, Ohio, October 8-10.
- Rob is Master of Ceremonies at the Canadian National Science
Fiction Convention in Fredericton, New Brunswick, October 15-17.
- Rob is Guest of Honor at science-fiction convention
Concinnity in Ottawa, Ontario, October 29-31.
- Tor contracts with Rob for three new novels, plus a reprint
of End of an Era.
- Tor reissues Rob's first novel,
Golden Fleece, in a
revised trade-paperback edition.
- Rob gives a talk, "The Future Is Already Here: Is There a
Place for Science Fiction in the 21st Century?," at the Library
of Congress in Washington, D.C., on November 10.
- Rob reads at the National Library of Canada in Ottawa, on
- Year 2000 edition of Canadian Global Almanac published
by McClelland & Stewart: Rob is included in the "Hall of Fame,"
spotlighting prominent Canadians.
- Rob contracts with Nelvana, the third-largest animation
studio in the world, to write the series bible for a
computer-animated science-fiction series.
- The Ottawa Citizen newspaper dubs Rob "the dean of
Canadian science fiction."
- Rob gives the keynote address at the Universitat
Politècnica de Catalunya's Premio UPC de Ciencia
Ficción award ceremony in Barcelona, Spain.
- Rob's short-story "Mars Reacts!," explaining what really
happened to the Mars Polar Lander, appears in The Globe and
Mail: Canada's National Newspaper, on December 11.
- BN.com, the web site of Barnes and Noble, announces its 1999
"Year's Best" list for science fiction and fantasy.
FlashForward is listed third.
More Good Reading
Rob's 2014 Year in Review
Rob's 2013 Year in Review
Rob's 2007 Year in Review
Rob's 2001 Year in Review
Rob's 2000 Year in Review
Rob's 1999 Year in Review
Rob's 1998 Year in Review
Rob's 1997 Year in Review
Rob's 1996 Year in Review
Rob's 1995 Year in Review
Decade in Review: January 1999 to December 2008
HOME • MENU • TOP
Copyright © 1995-2016 by Robert J. Sawyer.